Ryan Full-tilt, full-stack developer, from JS -> SQL and everything in between.
5 min read

This site was built with hubpress.io

I needed a “quick”, free and server-less blog with domain forwarding. I liked the Jekyll static site generator, though there were too many caveats. The open source project hubpress.io/ seemed solid, fork a repo, change a config.json file and then good to go, right? Not so fast.

I ran into several problems, but mostly were my legacy problems. I had previously setup two blogs using GitHub Pages. One of those projects had a _config.yml file that redirected to an old, unused and completely different domain. It also didn’t help that I had several CNAME redirects setup in AWS Route 53. After deleting both old repos, removing A and CNAME records within AWS, we’re good to go.

Here’s the configuration I ended up with:


I might open a pull request with the guys at HubPress to format the config.json with pretty print.

Not bad for the first post :)

Update (June 12th, 2019)

I scrapped hubpress.io since it now links to a “Buy Instagram Followers” page, aka domain squatted. Moving/moved to Jekyll via Github Pages.